Thursday, September 12, 2013

First Week Nightlife

From now on I'm going to just write about the highlights of my trip since I have classes and such and I know I won't be able to keep up any other way.

So I've been here a week now! Craziness. I have been out almost every night I would say since it is a huge part of the culture. They nap and then stay out allllll night. I have been out in the centro a bit, to La Alfalfa which is kind of an international student (but definitely not just American) hangout and a little bit on Calle Betis which is where a lot of people go to dance and has kind of a bad reputation here since a lot of international students go there, get too drunk and become the victims of petty crime. They say Sevilla has a very low violent crime rate, but a very high petty crime rate. I've been lucky so far *knock on wood.* I've also hung out a few nights on my street which is really laid back and fun as well. There is a bar up the street that has ofertas for everything on the menu for 1 Euro a couple days a week which makes us pretty happy.

I've been to La Alfalfa twice so far. The first time I went there we ran into one of the bike tour guides who promised his group shots if we saw him out. Next thing you know we're on a bar crawl that his flatmate leads for local hostels. We got free alcohol all night and ended at an open air night club. Prettyyy cool. We met people from Germany, England, Australia, Holland and Italy which was really fun and interesting.

The other night I was there I ended up making a couple of Spanish friends who stuck with our little group the rest of the night. Mari and Pedro who are university students from just outside of Spain. It was funny because we thought they were a couple the whole night, but they were just childhood friends. Part of the culture here is that they're very touchy-feely and their sense of personal space is much different so I think that's how we got that impression. We practiced our Spanish and their English the whole night. They were super nice so I got Mari's number. Hope to hang out again soon!

Last night was probably the best night out I've had yet. It was my first time going out for tapas with an awesome group of friends! We tried a bunch of different things the most bold being Bull's Tail. It was not bad, but there's not much of it! We enjoyed those along with sangria and tinto de verano (wine with soda basically). We got ice cream as is becoming tradition because it is amazing here and they have so manyyy flavors!! It was a perfect night full of good food and drink, friends and lots of laughter. Hopefully to be repeated soon! Wandering around this city at night is so much fun because it is warm, people are still out and about being social (not stumbling over drunk) and you have all of these striking historical buildings that you so casually walk by, but they are so beautiful and old and all lit up. It's a beautiful place.




From left to right: Addie, Carli, Hannah, Tiffany, Jill and Kathleen. Mis chicas!! Love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment